Personal Care Attendant Program (PCA)
The Personal Care Attendant program fosters independence in individuals with disabilities who receive MassHealth to:
- Retain self-direction and control over personal care
- Hire and train his/her own assistant(s)
- Remain in his/her own home
- Help the individual gain approval from MassHealth for PCA service
- Provide training to consumers to become employers of Personal Care Attendants
- Provide ongoing support to consumer who is the employer
Note: A volunteer surrogate (family member or friend) can be designated to help with any or all aspects of employee management.
The PCA program can be reached at 800-732-4636, or 413-773-5555, or 978-544-2259, or TDD 413-772-6566, Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
A Massachusetts Web-based PCA referral directory can be found at www.mass.gov/findpca. Access to this directory is free for PCA consumers. You can use it to search the website for qualified PCAs by zip code and screen potential PCAs for criteria of importance to you. Current and potential PCAs can apply for jobs on this site at no charge. Those looking for work as a PCA can also call 1-866-211-9675 to be listed on the site. The website is also available in Spanish and is completely accessible for those who use any kind of assistive technology.
Print the Pamphlet (216K PDF)
Send us e-mail Updated June 2012